My New Beginning, a department of My New Beginning, offers the gastric band, also known as the LAP-BAND®. This procedure uses an adjustable silicone band to reduce the size of the stomach.
Gastric Band Weight Loss Surgery: The Procedure
The band is placed around the top of the stomach, squeezing it so it becomes a small pouch that can hold a significantly smaller amount of food. The band allows food to pass through the digestive track normally, so it does not interfere with food absorption.
Once in place, the gastric band can be adjusted by a professional to increase or decrease the size of the stomach pouch for optimal results. This allows the procedure to be customized to each patient’s needs. If necessary, the band can even be removed all together, and the stomach will eventually return to its normal size.
What to Expect Before Gastric Band Surgery
The first step in choosing gastric band weight loss surgery at My New Beginning in Dallas is to come in for a free insurance verification. You will go over your weight loss surgery options and expectations so you can make an informed choice about your surgery.
Two weeks before surgery, we suggest that all bariatric surgery patients focus on changing their diets. This will prepare your body for significant changes and make your surgery safer.
What to Expect During Gastric Band Surgery
First, you will receive general anesthesia before your weight loss surgery. Then, your surgeon will make tiny incisions on your abdomen to create your new stomach, which will be ¼ the size of your regular stomach.
What to Expect After Gastric Band Surgery
It will take some time to recover, so it’s important to rest, monitor your caloric intake and follow your doctor’s orders for diet and medicine. You won’t be able to exercise right away, but gradually it will be crucial to start an exercise program that you can follow.
Gastric Band Advantages
- Reduces the amount of food the stomach can hold
- Induces excess weight loss of approximately 40 – 50 percent
- Involves no cutting of the stomach or rerouting of the intestines
- Requires a shorter hospital stay, usually less than 24 hours, with some centers discharging the patient the same day as surgery
- Is reversible and adjustable
- Has the lowest rate of early postoperative complications and mortality among the approved bariatric procedures
- Has the lowest risk for vitamin/mineral deficiencies
Gastric Band Disadvantages
- Slower and less early weight loss than other surgical procedures
- Greater percentage of patients failing to lose at least 50 percent of excess body weight compared to the other surgeries commonly performed
- Requires a foreign device to remain in the body
- Can result in possible band slippage or band erosion into the stomach in a small percentage of patients
- Can have mechanical problems with the band, tube or port in a small percentage of patients
- Can result in dilation of the esophagus if the patient overeats
- Requires strict adherence to the postoperative diet and to postoperative follow-up visits
- Highest rate of re-operation
Start Living a Healthier Life Today
Weight loss surgery may be the long-term weight loss solution you’ve been looking for to improve your quality of health. Talk to our staff about how weight loss surgery at My New Beginning may help you live a healthier life.
As with any type of weight loss surgery, gastric band surgery has possible risks and side effects. That’s why it’s imperative to discuss all of your options with us.
We are available to help you make a personalized choice on weight loss surgery in Dallas that’s specifically designed to meet your goals and lifestyle.
LAP-BAND® is a registered trademark of Allergan, Inc.